Re: Default token for Unicode character

From: Christoph LANGE <ch.lange@jacobs-university.de>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:24:46 +0200
To: Urs Holzer <urs@andonyar.com>
Cc: "www-math@w3.org" <www-math@w3.org>
Hi Urs,

> I have to implement the following in my Presentation MathML editor: When
> the user inserts a unicode character, the editor has to guess which
> token element to use, mi or mo. So, the question is: How to find a sane
> default token element for a given unicode character?

In the very general case, you don't always get a unique answer, as functions
can also occur as constants, i.e. without arguments.  E.g. instead of sin x or
sin(x) you'd have statements like "let f = sin, then f(x) = ...", or "the
[function] vector space spanned by the set {sin, cos}".  I'm sure this is also
true for certain function symbols that have their own Unicode characters.  But
actually it might not make a difference for you, as

* it is possibly admissible to write function constants as <mo> as well (@all:
  is it?)
* functions applied to arguments occur much more frequently than function
  constants

Cheers,

Christoph