Re: MathML-in-HTML5

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 23:19:41 +0000 (UTC)
To: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Cc: www-math@w3.org, dev-tech-mathml@lists.mozilla.org

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, David Carlisle wrote:

> > What are the rules for handling non-well-formed content?
>
> not sure what the "rules" are (as in whether they are published
> anywhere), perhaps someone from DS (or Microsoft for that matter) could
> give more information, but empirically what I think happens is that if
> you register the namespce on m: with a component then any top level
> element (<m:math>..</m:math> in our case) gets handed over to the
> component, well formed or not, and then it's up to the component what it
> does with it.  Mathplayer for example usually tries to make something
> out of incorrect (including non well formed)  content, but always
> renders it in a red error box.

So basically, it's the same as tag soup. I don't really see an advantage
to going down that route (with its complexities like namespace prefixes,
etc) -- if anything, the lack of success of IE's extension mechanism
should be taken as a sign that this is not the path to follow. (Compare
this to, e.g., <marquee>, which was so widely used that other browsers
were forced to support it.)