Re: [whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html (Was: MathML-in-HTML5)

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 21:34:37 +0200
Cc: www-math@w3.org, WHAT WG List <whatwg@whatwg.org>
To: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>

On Nov 5, 2006, at 14:12, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> If you don't have xmnls and xmlns:prefix then there are no
> namespaces, period.

If my parser tells your ContentHandler that there is a namespace,
then there is. Your ContentHandler doesn't get to see any source bytes.

If my parser gives your code a XOM tree with namespaces, then there
are namespaces. Again, your code doesn't get to see how the
namespaces ended up there.

> All we have is the document's text. This is what must be defined.
> If there are no namespaces in the text, then there are no namespaces.

There are no namespaces in any text unless a parsing spec creates
such a notion.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi