Re: [whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html(Was:MathML-in-HTML5)

Elliotte Harold wrote:

> If you don't have xmnls and xmlns:prefix then there are no namespaces,
> period.

That sentence suffers from presupposition failure.

1. Syntax is not the same thing as semantics.
2. Namespaces are as namespaces do.

> All we have is the document's text.

That sentence suffers from terminal vagueness and presupposition failure.

1. "We" is a large, heterogeneous, ill-defined class of people and
software agents for which surely no such sweeping generalization can be
expected to hold.
2. "We" have the ability to design syntax that encodes namespaces any way
we choose, if we choose.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line
Polymathix