Re: Choosing namespaces syntax for MathML

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:15:15 +0100
To: juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com
Cc: www-math@w3.org, chris@chiasson.name
juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com wrote:
> I type <foo> in the editor, how does it know if i mean <a:foo> or
> <b:foo>? Whereas this could probably increase readability, I am not
> sure if productivity would decrease this way.I am not sure also if
> automatic detection of conflicts can be done.
Using a DTD you can do that, sure, a DTD will not accept an ATTLIST
declaration twice hence the conflict leads to a non-well-formed file
(again, using DTD-aware parsers).
There's no smooth path that I know of between hidden element namespace
using such as DTD and fully namespaced elements (either with xmlns="xx"
or with prefixes). But it should be pretty easy to have a "namespace
fixer", e.g. in dom4j or jdom) based on a table as to which namespace to
assign elements without explicit prefix.

paul