MathML Incompatibility

From: Jyrki Kajala <Jyrki.Kajala@savonia-amk.fi>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 15:18:43 +0300
To: <wendellp@operamail.com>, <www-math@w3.org>

The MathML recommendations are too advanced for most tools and the
implementations don't support all features. I have moved formulas from
Mathematica to SciWriter but had to modify the code that the
MathMLForm-function of Mathematica generated. MathMLForm generates some
entities that SciWriter doesn't understand. If you use the
sciWriterForm-function given below you can fix some of the
incompabilities

<pre>
sciWriterForm[x_] :=
  StandardForm[
    StringReplace[
      ToString[
        MathMLForm[x]
      ],
      {
        "<mo>&#8289;</mo>" -> "",
        "&#8290;" -> "&InvisibleTimes;",
        "&#8518;" -> "d",
        "&#8519;" -> "e"
        }
    ]
  ]
</pre>

--Jyrki

>>> "Wendell P" <wendellp@operamail.com> 05/13/05 09:00 AM >>>

I am trying out some programs that use MathML and am having a lot of
trouble exchanging files between applications. For example:

Publicon will read MathML equations from MathType and Amaya but not
SciWriter.

SciWriter will read MathML output from Amaya but not Publicon or
MathType.

Amaya will mostly read MathML from SciWriter but not Publicon or
MathType.