Re: fontsize inheritance

From: Robert Miner <RobertM@dessci.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:06:37 -0600
To: mikeday@yeslogic.com
Cc: www-math@w3.org

> I have a question regarding the application of relative font sizes to
> inherited fontsize attributes on mstyle in the miSfontsize9 test case:
> <mstyle fontsize='0.1in'>
>     <mi>A</mi>
>     <mo>+</mo>
>     <mi fontsize='2em'>A</mi>
> </mstyle>
> The first A identifier and both + operators inherit the fontsize of 0.1in
> from the parent mstyle. But what about the second A, which has a relative
> font size? One would assume that this relative font size of 2em is applied
> to the fontsize inherited from the mstyle, producing a result of 0.2in.
> However, in the expected output for this test case the A is much bigger,
> and it seems to be applying the 2em to the default font size from *before*
> the mstyle, ignoring the fontsize that was set on the mstyle altogether.
> Is the expected output for miSfontsize9 incorrect? Or have I misread the
> specification?

I agree with you.  miSfontsize9 is incorrect, and the second A should
be .2em.

> The definition of mstyle does not seem to clearly specify
> how relative values are applied to inherited attributes.

I guess not.  But I definitely think you have the right
interpretation:  The outer mstyle sets the fontsize that the would
apply by default it's child nodes, and then the fontsize on the inner
mi changes the fontsize relative to that value.

Dr. Robert Miner                                RobertM@dessci.com
MathML 2.0 Specification Co-editor                    651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com