Re: fontsize inheritance

From: Robert Miner <RobertM@dessci.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:06:37 -0600
To: mikeday@yeslogic.com
Cc: www-math@w3.org

Hi.

> I have a question regarding the application of relative font sizes to
> inherited fontsize attributes on mstyle in the miSfontsize9 test case:
>
> <mstyle fontsize='0.1in'>
>     <mi>A</mi>
>     <mo>+</mo>
>     <mi fontsize='2em'>A</mi>
> </mstyle>
>
> The first A identifier and both + operators inherit the fontsize of 0.1in
> from the parent mstyle. But what about the second A, which has a relative
> font size? One would assume that this relative font size of 2em is applied
> to the fontsize inherited from the mstyle, producing a result of 0.2in.
>
> However, in the expected output for this test case the A is much bigger,
> and it seems to be applying the 2em to the default font size from *before*
> the mstyle, ignoring the fontsize that was set on the mstyle altogether.
>
> Is the expected output for miSfontsize9 incorrect? Or have I misread the
> specification?

I agree with you.  miSfontsize9 is incorrect, and the second A should
be .2em.

> The definition of mstyle does not seem to clearly specify
> how relative values are applied to inherited attributes.

I guess not.  But I definitely think you have the right
interpretation:  The outer mstyle sets the fontsize that the would
apply by default it's child nodes, and then the fontsize on the inner
mi changes the fontsize relative to that value.

--Robert

Dr. Robert Miner                                RobertM@dessci.com
MathML 2.0 Specification Co-editor                    651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com