fontsize inheritance

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 19:13:38 +1100 (EST)
To: www-math@w3.org

Hi,

I have a question regarding the application of relative font sizes to
inherited fontsize attributes on mstyle in the miSfontsize9 test case:

<mstyle fontsize='0.1in'>
    <mi>A</mi>
    <mo>+</mo>
    <mi fontsize='2em'>A</mi>
</mstyle>

The first A identifier and both + operators inherit the fontsize of 0.1in
from the parent mstyle. But what about the second A, which has a relative
font size? One would assume that this relative font size of 2em is applied
to the fontsize inherited from the mstyle, producing a result of 0.2in.

However, in the expected output for this test case the A is much bigger,
and it seems to be applying the 2em to the default font size from *before*
the mstyle, ignoring the fontsize that was set on the mstyle altogether.

Is the expected output for miSfontsize9 incorrect? Or have I misread the
specification? The definition of mstyle does not seem to clearly specify
how relative values are applied to inherited attributes.

Best regards,

Michael

--
YesLogic Prince prints XML!