Re: Directional derivative in content MathML?

From: Robert Miner <RobertM@dessci.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:27:28 -0500
To: brentmh@ece.rice.edu
CC: www-math@w3.org, lizzardg@rice.edu

Hi.

> Is there an accepted notation for marking up directional (ie. vector)
> derivatives (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DirectionalDerivative.html) in
> content MathML?  My first inclination was to use the <gradient> tag, but
> that's not quite correct since it's really the dot product of the
> gradient and the unit direction vector.  Is the <diff/> tag appropriate
> here?  How would I specify the directional vector?  A <bvar> perhaps?

Unfortunately, I think not.  This is right on the edge of where
content MathML stops. Sorry.

--Robert

Dr. Robert Miner                                RobertM@dessci.com
MathML 2.0 Specification Co-editor                    651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com