Directional derivative in content MathML?

From: Brent Hendricks <brentmh@ece.rice.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 15:24:20 -0500
To: www-math@w3.org
Cc: lizzardg@rice.edu

Is there an accepted notation for marking up directional (ie. vector)
derivatives (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DirectionalDerivative.html) in
content MathML?  My first inclination was to use the <gradient> tag, but
that's not quite correct since it's really the dot product of the
gradient and the unit direction vector.  Is the <diff/> tag appropriate
here?  How would I specify the directional vector?  A <bvar> perhaps?

Thanks,
-- Brent

"The programmer, like the poet, works only slightly removed from pure
  thought-stuff.  He builds his castles in the air, from air, creating
  by exertion of the imagination.  Few media of creation are so
  flexible, so easy to polish and rework, so readily capable of
  realizing grand conceptual structures."
                         -- Frederick Brooks, Jr., The Mythical Man Month