RE: menclose

MathType also has a sort of "not" strikeout that is like NE/SW but the angle
is more nearly vertical and doesn't vary from use to use like the corner to
corner ones do. It is a sort of generalized negation. This is only available
as an embellishment however, not as a template.

We should also define how these compose. It should be possible to cross-out
a circled expression. Would this be done as:

   <menclose notation="circle">
      <menclose notation="nesw_strikeout">
      </menclose>
   </menclose>

or

   <menclose notation="circle nesw_strikeout">
   </menclose>

If we do the former, we would somehow have to handle this properly in the
implementation to prevent double application of the extension of the
cross-out lines outside of the bounding box of its contents. Of course, if
we think that sometimes that is desirable, then we have an ambiguity to
resolve. I vote for the latter -- it is easier to implement and more
flexible. Only certain notation values would be allowed to be composed. A
struck-out long division would require nested mencloses.

Paul

Paul Topping                     email: pault@dessci.com
                                 phone: 562-433-0685
Design Science, Inc.             http://www.dessci.com
"How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, Equation Editor, TeXaide