Re: Last Call Working Draft of MathML 2.0, 2nd edition published

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, David Carlisle wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:29:45 +0100
> From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
> To: Bill.Naylor@mcs.vuw.ac.nz
> Cc: www-math@w3.org
> Subject: Re: Last Call Working Draft of MathML 2.0, 2nd edition published
>

> Bill,
>
> Thank you for your comment.
>
>   http://www.openmath.org/cd/setname1.ocd
>
>   this is ambiguous as it stands, since that CD holds definitions of six
>   symbols. The example would be more accurately (unambiguously) stated as:
>

> I think that the existing examples are technically correct (The
> semantics of definitionURL are sufficiently flexible to allow a single
> URI to cover different symbol definitions) however it would be clearer
> if they were separated.
>
> You suggested
>
>  definitionURL="http://www.openmath.org/cd/setname1.ocd#N"
>
> Which is the form used already in some of the OM -> MathML conversion
> scripts, however openmath.org serves .ocd files as text/plain so that
> you get a "source view", and the browser doesn't scroll to the
> definition of N if you follow that link.
>
> We propose to use
>
>  definitionURL="http://www.openmath.org/cd/setname1#N"
>
> without any explict extension as an abstract identifier for this symbol.
> The server at openmath.org (now!) will redirect that to the html form
>
> http://www.openmath.org/cd/setname1.html#N
>
> where the fragment identifier #N will work as expected and scroll the
> view to the symbol N.
>
> I hope this is acceptable. As this is a "last call" comment, please
> acknowledge on the list if it is (or isn't) as we need to record the
> resolution of all comments as part of the process of moving the document
> on to the next stage.
>
> Thanks again for your careful review,
>
> David

The form:
definitionURL="http://www.openmath.org/cd/setname1#N"
seems fine to me, though I would expect that the exact syntax /
semantics correspondence between the MathML / OpenMath interaction should
be specified somewhere under the definition of the definitionURL
attribute.

Bill