RE: Assignment Vs conditions

From: Plechsmíd Martin <Martin.Plechsmid@merlin.cz>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:44:00 +0200
To: "'hammond@csc.albany.edu'" <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Cc: "'Kamlesh Pandey, Noida'" <kamleshp@noida.hcltech.com>, www-math@w3.org
> Is "assignment" a mathematical concept?

It depends what you include in mathematics.

> If "declaration" is a mathematical concept, is it something different
> from definition?

I've never seen a definition of what a declaration is, I only guess what it
means from everyday use of this word. But if I was to define declaration, I
would distinguish between declaration and assignment by definition. I would
say that declaration is usualy treated as a notion from the mathematical
meta-language, rather than a mathematical concept - but as I said, this
depends on what mathematics consist of.

> I've always construed the := operator to mean the object on the left
> is being defined as the object on the right, not that I usually see
> this notation in mathematics journal literature.

Yes, this is fine. But allowing declarations only, not assignments, you
cannot do something like

	sum := 0;
	for i=0 to 100 do
	begin
		sum := sum + i;
	end;

An excelent example is the XSLT language - you can declare variables with a
value, but you cannot change the value through the lifetime of the variable.

	Martin.