Re: Assignment Vs conditions

From: William F. Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Date: 26 Apr 2002 08:21:40 -0400
To: Plechsmíd Martin <Martin.Plechsmid@merlin.cz>
Cc: "'Kamlesh Pandey, Noida'" <kamleshp@noida.hcltech.com>, www-math@w3.org
Plechsmíd Martin <Martin.Plechsmid@merlin.cz> writes:

>                                                    but in general there
> is a big difference between assignment and declaration.

Is "assignment" a mathematical concept?

If "declaration" is a mathematical concept, is it something different
from definition?

I've always construed the := operator to mean the object on the left
is being defined as the object on the right, not that I usually see
this notation in mathematics journal literature.

                                    -- Bill