Re: Assignment Vs conditions

From: William F. Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Date: 26 Apr 2002 10:24:13 -0400
To: W3C MathML Discussion <www-math@w3.org>
Plechsmíd Martin <Martin.Plechsmid@merlin.cz> writes:

> Yes, this is fine. But allowing declarations only, not assignments, you
> cannot do something like
>
> 	sum := 0;
> 	for i=0 to 100 do
> 	begin
> 		sum := sum + i;
> 	end;

This is an example of a computer routine, possibly also of the
description of a mathematical algorithm, but it is not mathematical
text, and, therefore, I see it as out of the range of mathematical
markup.

In the context of mathematical markup I previously described the
symbol := as being for _definition_ rather than for _declaration_.

                                    -- Bill