Re: comments re draft version 2.0

From: Stan Devitt <jsdevitt@radicalflow.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:12:12 -0400
To: "William F. Hammond" <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Cc: <www-math@w3.org>
The   (D^2)(y)  --> D(y)*D(y) interpretation is
exactly the interpretation you get in, for example, Maple.
Maple has the somewhat unique feature of supporting an
algebra of functions so that   (f+g)(x) -> f(x) + g(x), etc.
and (1)(x) -> 1 .

The operator precedence and binding is the same
in both expressions  $D^2 y$ and (D^2)(y).  It is only the
semantic interpretation that may be different.

In the spirit of David's markup, it might have been written
something more like

and then it is easier to see how the  macro definitions for apply
could take it either way,  perhaps conditional on the presence of
D or an operator.

(see more below)