Re: Where is Libwww maintained today

From: Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 00:15:51 -0400
To: Kristian Spangsege <kristian.spangsege@gmail.com>
CC: www-lib@w3.org

Kristian Spangsege wrote:

>According to http://www.w3.org/Library/ the latest version of Libwww
>is 5.4.1, however the version on my FedorCore 6 is 5.4.1. This leads
>me to suspect that Libwww is maintained elsewhere these days. Is that
Yes, the library will show 5.4.1 if you check out and build as per,

This will include the updates and authors as listed in the change
log[1].  The packaging and build is particularly well done by Andreas
Bierfert for fedora  6 extras [2].

>The reason I'm asking is that I found a bug, and wanted to see if it
>was fixed in the latest release (or maybe in CVS.)
>Please advise as to where I can inspect the latest version and
>potentially report a bug.
Okay, I will try to check it both places,  (just grabbed a copy of the
SRPMS for FC6).

>The result is that the redirection handler only works for status TEMP_REDIRECT, which obviously is not the intended behaviour:
What is the simplest test case that exhibits the unintended behavior ?

"The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed yet."
 -- William Gibson, quoted by Whitfield Diffie

[1] Changes with libwww 5.4.1

2006-12-03       Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>
	* configure.ac, Library/src/Makefile.am, Library/cvs2sql/Makefile.am, Robot/src/Makefile.am:
	  modify configure scripts for mysql_config based autoconf processing
	* Library/src/HTSQL.c, Library/src/HTSQL.html, Library/src/HTSQLLog.c: remove
	  mysql directory from include directives
2006-12-02       Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>

	* Robot/src/RobotMain.c: added flag MR_KEEP_META for -lm last modified option
	  detected by Jan Hutař

2006-11-29       Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>

	* Robot/src/RobotMain.c: added flag MR_KEEP_META for -title option
	  detected by Jan Hutař

2006-07-09       Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>

	* close leak in HTBound process_boundary() detected by Sam Varshavchik
	  using valgrind; excised old #if 0 snippets from HTMIME.c

2006-06-18       Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>

	* Library/src/HTCookie.c: add private function HTCookie_splitPair to
	  split a KEY=VALUE pair, from Jesse Morgan
2006-03-14       Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>

	* configure.ac: remove unecessary check for appkit.h as
	  suggested by Roger Persson

2006-03-12       Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>

	* Library/src/wwwsys.html: change genuine angle bracket characters
	  into the angle bracket entities, thanks to Bobby Jack
2005-11-11       Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>

	* Library/src/HT*.html, Library/src/SSL/HT*.html: wrap
	  all header files with extern "C"
	* Library/src/HTFile, configure.ac: add a basis for
	  addressing Ben's security concerns

2005-10-16       Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>

	* Library/src/HTBound.c: libwww security advisory fix from
	  Sam Varshavchik, fix double-counting of processed bytes,
	  rewrote HTBoundary_put_block, to fix problematic HTTP 1.1
	  byte range requests
2005-08-01       Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>

	* Library/src/: HTAlert.c, HTHeader.c, HTInit.c, HTNet.c,
	  HTProfil.c, HTProt.c, HTTrans.c: Patch to greatly speed up
	  repeated requests, from Arthur Smith

2005-07-25       Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>

	* Library/src/HTSQL.c: modifications to compile without using
	  deprecated mysql functions
	* config/: config.sub, ltmain.sh: updates for recent version of

2005-04-04       Jose Kahan <jose@w3.org>

	* INSTALL.html, Library/src/HTEvtLst.c: cleaning

2005-03-09       Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>

	* libwww-config.in: include -lwwwssl, thanks to mgoddard at

2005-02-28       Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>

	* Library/src/SSL/HTSSLWriter.c: avoids an eternal loop in libwww
	  (thanks to Steinar Bang)

2005-02-27       Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>

	* Library/src/SSL/HTSSL.html, Robot/src/RobotMain.c: fix for webbot
	  -v option check and documentation addition
	* configure.ac, Library/src/SSL/HTSSL.c,
	  Library/src/SSL/windows/wwwssl.def, Robot/src/HTRobMan.html,
	  Robot/src/Makefile.am, Robot/src/RobotMain.c: basic support for
	  client side certificates using PEM format

2005-01-23       Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>

	* Library/src/SSL/: HTSSL.c, HTSSLReader.c, HTSSLWriter.c: add
	  openssl to include for ssl.h and rand.h
	* config/: config.guess, config.sub, ltmain.sh: update after
	  running libtoolize
	* Robot/src/Makefile.am: use SSL directory for libwwwssl.la
	* Robot/src/RobotMain.c: include HTSSL.h
	* configure.ac: fix aclocal underquoting warnings
	* Robot/src/: RobotMain.c, Makefile.am: update to enable https

2005-01-05       Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>

	* Library/src/HTTPReq.c: fixed , to _ in HTTRACE call
	* Library/src/HTTPReq.c: removed LIBWWW_USEIDN, because unnecessary
	* modules/idn/unicode_template.c: forgot one file
	* Library/src/HTDNS.html: moved IDN to main branch
	* Library/src/HTDNS.c: moved IDN to main branch
	* Library/src/HTTPReq.c: added "LIBWWW_USEIDN" conditional
	* Library/src/HTTPReq.c: moved IDN to main branch

2004-01-29       Jose Kahan <jose@w3.org>

	* Library/Overview.html: JK: Added the libwww survey results

[2] Fedora Core 6, Extras, source package for w3c-libwww