Re: thread safety

From: Vic Bancroft <bancroft@america.net>
Date: 30 Apr 2003 23:59:12 -0400
To: www-lib@w3.org
Cc: Tanmay Patwardhan <tpthesis@hotmail.com>

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 20:06, Tanmay Patwardhan wrote:

> My main consideration is to get around my DLL problem.

Is your shared library used simultaneously by multiple threads ?

> >From: Richard Atterer <richard@list03.atterer.net>
> >Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 01:47:13 +0200

> >Why would you *want* it to be thread-safe? It can do several downloads
> >simultaneously in a single thread, so what benefits does running it in
> >several threads have?

The consensus seems to be that if you want multiple concurrent threads
to use your library, implement a mutex protected queue which allows a
caller to submit a request and block until the request is satisfied by a
single libwww thread or times out.  I do not know of a published source
for such an example.  The version I had done was part of a larger "work
for hire" and not my own to redistribute.  Perhaps we could implement a
"clean room" version using pthread.h and add it as an example.

more,
l8r,