how to check whether the remote servlet is up and running

From: vijayanand sankar <vijayanands@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 16:47:08 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-lib@w3.org
Cc: vijayanands@yahoo.com

Hi
I am a beginner to using libwww. I am using libwww as
an http client to connect to a servlet running in a
remote host.

Can someone tell me how I can find out if the remote
servlet is up and running or not using libwww. Is
there some api that tells whether the http connection
is successful before I start the communication with
the servlet.

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
vijay