Re: w3c-libwww-5.2.8-7 bug report

From: Manuele Kirsch Pinheiro <Manuele.Kirsch_Pinheiro@inrialpes.fr>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:53:22 +0100
To: Jean-Christophe Touvet <jct@edelweb.fr>
CC: Rob Corell <rcorell@adobe.com>, David Binderman <d.binderman@virgin.net>, www-lib@w3.org
Hi!
Jean-Christophe Touvet wrote:

>>    Ignore them all.  The first three are dubious.  The spec is somewhat
>>ambiguous (5.16 Stroustrop), but the definite intent is to replicate the
>>behavior of an if..else clause.  If start is zero, it would take a very
>>perverse compiler to increment it in this instance.  And you're probably
>>not
>>using gopher.
>>

> I don't think it's the problem. If start is not zero, the statement
>equals to "start = ++start;" which is in fact undefined in C.

I don't know if this statement is realy undefined in ANSI C, but it
works as expected when using an ANSI C compiler (I did a little test to
confirm it and it works ok in GNU C and Sun Workshop C compilers) .
Indeed, using GNU C compiler over Red Hat 7.1, I didn't have any of the
warning messages that David has using Compaq C compiler over the same
plataform...
So, I think we may safely ignore those warnings... :)

Best regards!

Manuele