Re: w3c-libwww-5.2.8-7 bug report

From: Jean-Christophe Touvet <jct@EdelWeb.fr>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:48:03 +0100
To: Manuele Kirsch Pinheiro <Manuele.Kirsch_Pinheiro@inrialpes.fr>
Cc: Rob Corell <rcorell@adobe.com>, David Binderman <d.binderman@virgin.net>, www-lib@w3.org

> I don't know if this statement is realy undefined in ANSI C, but it
> works as expected when using an ANSI C compiler (I did a little test to
> confirm it and it works ok in GNU C and Sun Workshop C compilers) .
> Indeed, using GNU C compiler over Red Hat 7.1, I didn't have any of the
> warning messages that David has using Compaq C compiler over the same
> plataform...
> So, I think we may safely ignore those warnings... :)

 Not a very scientific approach: "it works with 2 compilers, thus it
must be correct" ;-)

 However, mea culpa: I remembered the K&R example "a[i] = i++;" and
concluded that "i = ++i;" whould be undefined. Maybe it is under a
strict language interpretation (which would explain Compaq compiler
warning), but I admit that, while inelegant, I don't see how it could
give another result than expected.

 Sorry,

    -JCT-