Re: [FYI] New WIN32 Makefiles + DAV support

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 05:40:28PM +0200, Jose Kahan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 12:15:12AM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
> >   cp /usr/share/automake/depcomp config/
> >   cp /usr/share/automake/missing config/
> >   libtoolize -c -f
> >   perl config/winConfigure.pl
> >   aclocal; autoheader; automake; autoconf
>
> Ah, I work with a debian stable box with some bits from testing. I
> updated the automake, autoconf, and libtool tools from testing, but
> didn't find the depcomp file.

Hm, I don't remember where that came from or why I copied it over. It
probably doesn't matter.

> 	../../libtool: test =: unary operator expected.
>
> I fixed this by invoking libtoolize -c -f. I can't tell if the error
> comes from the debian package or from backwards incompatibility on
> those tools. However, the libtoolize workaround solves this problem.
> I'll add this info to the bootstraping page.
>
> Maybe you have a better idea of why I had that problem.

Not really. :-/

BTW, some people argue that it's a Bad Thing to hold config.sub/guess
etc. in CVS because these files must be kept up to date. The approach
taken by Gnome and many other big projects is to supply in CVS an
autogen.sh script which does all the bootstrapping. For libwww, it
could also invoke libtoolize and config/winConfigure.pl, making the
bootstrap instructions much easier to follow. ("Run autogen.sh")

> > In particular, the config.guess/config.sub in current CVS doesn't
> > seem to work properly for a i586-pc-mingw32 target. Please ensure
> > the new libwww release also includes newer versions of all these
> > auto* files!
>
> I have those that come from Debian testing. However, those don't
> seem to be the latest versions. The gnu ftp server says that the
> latest autoconf is version 2.53. I prefered to leave it with v. 2.13
> :)

Right! :-)
I think the versions in testing are recent enough.

> Sometime ago, there was a site where you could download the latest
> config.guess and config.sub files, but its URL must have changed. I
> was unable to find it again. I may have taken those files directly
> from the CVS base.

For Debian, these files are now packaged separately in the
autotools-dev package, which should get updated much more frequently
than before. To get them via CVS from GNU:

cvs -z 4 -d :pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/config \
export -rHEAD config

> Can you do a cvs update for libwww and see if my changes fixed your
> problem? Otherwise, I'll search and update those files again.

I just tried and it works fine now! Many thanks!

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _