combining xercex-c and libwww with partial reads

From: Georg Huettenegger <georg@ist.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 10:03:42 +0200 (CEST)
To: www-lib@w3.org
perhaps my question is rather stupid but i could not find a satisfying
solution until now.

xerces-c has a libwww interface that i am trying to use. the interface
tries to use range requests to only fetch the parts next
needed. unfortunately i am coping with dynamically generated xml data and
range requests do not work (i get the whole document even if i issue a
range request).

therefore i currently cache the whole answer and satisfy the requests from
xerces-c from my buffer. although this solution is working i am not
satisfied with it, as i have to store the stuff one more time in memory
and always wait for the full answer before starting the xml parsing.

as network read/recv calls exactly do what i would like to do (i get the
request to deliver up to x bytes) it would be quite natural and minimize
copying when i could give libwww a buffer of my own and say give me up to
x bytes from the answer of the webserver.

is this functionality already available? or easy to implement? (i fear i
do not have much time to contribute myself and the whole library does look
rather big).

thanks for your time.

bye,
 georg