From: lucas@mach8.nl [mailto:lucas@mach8.nl]
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2001 11:26 PM
To: Fred Covely
Cc: www-lib@w3.org
Subject: RE: post.dsp in another workspace.

Hi Fred, thanks again for helping out.

> All of the examples use the wwwcore, and other libraries, so check your
> library paths.

I thought the .dsp would contain references to the libraries it needs, and
if it would not find them, warn me..  Is this not how it goes?

The .dsp wants to dynamicly link to the gnu_regex.dll and 3 more libs.
I noticed the precense of their equivalent .lib files (instead of the
.dll's) I hoever have tried and trie to make an executable independant of
those .dlls, but could not tell msvc (we have a bit of a communication
problem :) to staticly link to  the .libs.. Is this possible?

> Another way I have used is to just readd the libs to the project.  You can
> start
> by just adding all the libraries and making sure it links with no
unresolved
> symbols.
> Then take them out one or two at a time to see which ones are not needed.

In VC terms, where would you suggest I'd do that? in the
->>options->directory->libraries screen?. I have noticed that one can see
what seem to be the library dependance of a project within a dsw by
opening a project, and seeing a 'shortcut' to a library within the
porject's files. I have tried and tried to give my project folder such a
shortcut, but am unclear what to do.

> When I first started using the lib my first exercise was exactly what
> you are doing and it does help to understand how the source code/dll's
> are structured.

Nice to know I'm not the only one :).

I'm sorry if I'm clugging this list with what might be more compiler
inexperience than in depth discussion of the library. I hope I will soon
understand how to use libwww in my compilercontext, and actually talk
about the library.

Again thanks for your help, very much appreciated,

  Lucas