W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-lib@w3.org > July to September 2000

Fw: SSL related question...

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:50:54 -0700
Message-ID: <02f001c01384$c9c4e9b0$6601a8c0@redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
To: <www-lib@w3.org>
Cc: <asodhani@jhancock.com>
Maybe somebody on the list can help?

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen
mailto:frystyk@microsoft.com

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Sodhani, Anup" <asodhani@jhancock.com>
To: "Frystyk" <frystyk@microsoft.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2000 11:56
Subject: FW: SSL related question...



If you folks can help, it would be really great:
QUESTIONS:
I. Is there a forum or newsgroup where I can put up my question for the
general public regarding SSL?
II. Has any client so far been able to use this library (5.3.1)
successfully?
III. Also, if I am executing "https" request, it does not go inside the
if
loop because it does not match. In order to force it to work, I had to
change (!pres->tmplate to (pres->tmplate unlike "http" request where it
matches. So I was wondering whether code in (HTNet.c) here needs to be
changed in order to incorporate "https" request as well.

if ((pres->status == status || pres->status == HT_ALL)
&&
    (!pres->tmplate ||
     (pres->tmplate && HTStrMatch(pres->tmplate,
addr)))) {
    HTTRACE(CORE_TRACE, "Net After... calling %p
(request
%p, response %p, status %d, context %p)\n" _ 
pres->after _ request _ response _ 
status _ pres->param);
    ret = (*pres->after)(request, response, pres->param,
status);
    if (ret != HT_OK) break;

    /*
    **  Update the address to match against if the
filter
changed
    **  the physical address.
    */
    if ((url = HTAnchor_physical(anchor))) addr = url;
}

IV.  The  other  issue is, when we make a call to http....; we get XML
string back which we parse it by calling <retval =
RCL_XMLParseInit(rHandle,
xmlstr);> and everything is perfectly fine.
But when we make a call to https.....;  in a similar way; I don't get
the
XML string back. Infact it does not talk to the server either as I am
monitoring the log file as well. So the request somehow does not even
reach
the server. One thing I have noticed that while debugging that when it
hits
the 'if loop'; (bold'ed below) it does some kind of Writing...Reading...
where it gets back the result set in the case of "http". But in "https",
it
goes thru but somehow doesnot bring back anything. 

PUBLIC int HTEventList_dispatch (SOCKET s, HTEventType type, ms_t now)
{
    SockEvents * sockp = SockEvents_get(s, SockEvents_find);
    if (sockp) {
HTEvent * event = sockp->events[HTEvent_INDEX(type)];

/* Fixup the timeout */
if (sockp->timeouts[HTEvent_INDEX(type)])
    HTTimer_refresh(sockp->timeouts[HTEvent_INDEX(type)], now);

/*
**  If we have found an event object for this event then see
**  is we should call it.
*/
if (event && event->priority!=HT_PRIORITY_OFF)
    return (*event->cbf) (s, event->param, type);
HTTRACE(THD_TRACE, "Dispatch.... Handler %p NOT called\n" _
sockp);
return HT_OK;
    }
    HTTRACE(THD_TRACE, "Dispatch.... Bad socket %d\n" _ s);
    return NO;
}

Call Stack:
HTEventList_loop(_HTRequest * 0x00f38430) line 629
IRCLConnection::NewRequest(IRCLConnection * const 0x01661630, char *
0x01770e7d, char * 0x01870060) line 477 + 9 bytes
RCLCAPI::RCL_NASNewRequest(RCLCAPI * const 0x01661630, char *
0x01770e7d,
char * 0x01870060, int 1) line 114 + 17 bytes
RCL_NASNewRequest(unsigned long 23467568, char * 0x01770e7d, char *
0x01870060, int 1) line 49
main(int 2, char * * 0x01770e30) line 110 + 19 bytes
mainCRTStartup() line 206 + 25 bytes
KERNEL32! 77f1b9ea()


I don't know how effective I was in explaining the issue, but any kind
of
help will be really appreciatable. One thing to note is that we are
using
Snareworks as well in our program.


NOTE: I HAVE ALSO DOWNLOADED 5.3.1 BUT STILL NO CHANGE IN MY RESULT.



Thanks,
Anup Sodhani
Development, Data and Architecture Group, C-4 
Voice: 617-572-4012
Email: asodhani@jhancock.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Olga Antropova [SMTP:olga@eai.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2000 3:55 PM
To: Sodhani, Anup
Subject: Re: SSL related question...

Anup,

ssl in wwwlib is not stable It was the first try of how to glue ssl into
the
library. I am not maintaining the wwwlib ssl and cannot say what is the
problem.
Basically ssl in wwwlib should be reimplemented to be useful (especially
in
commercial applications). In addition to instabilities is doesn't
support
proxies.
Sorry for the bad news...

Olga.


"Sodhani, Anup" wrote:

> Hello Olga,
>
> I am having problem using the SSL code. We have written a program
which
> makes use of W3C library calls. When using non-ssl functions, my
program
is
> able to talk to the Servlet thru Snareworks and gets back XML string
which
I
> parse it. But when I use ssl based code; it hangs in the while loop of
the
> function call "HTEventList_loop(request)".
>
> Would you be able to help please.
>
> Thanks,
> Anup Sodhani
> Development, Data and Architecture Group, C-4
> Voice: 617-572-4012
> Email: asodhani@jhancock.com
Received on Thursday, 31 August 2000 15:51:32 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 23 April 2007 18:18:37 GMT