Library stalling trying to retrieve password protected URLs

From: Sam Couter <eddie@topic.com.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 22:15:05 -0500 (EST)
To: www-lib@w3.org
Greetings again libwww'ers,

When trying to load URLs that are password protected without specifying a
password, libwww seems to stall. Using code posted to this list on June 17
by Raffaele Sena <raff@nuvomedia.com> (BTW, thanks :) ), I've got a
not-so-interactive application supplying the username and password when
required. This works exactly as I'd expect. However, if I don't have a
username and password to give, libwww ends up calling select() and waiting
on a socket that doesn't become active again. I'd expect to get a 401 error
instead.

The trace shows the normal chain of events: Request, 401 Error, After
Filter, look for name and password, request again. The second request never
really gets underway if a name and password aren't found.

Again, this is a part of the library I don't understand very well at all, so
if anyone could help me out or give me some pointers, I'd be very
appreciative.

Thanks.
--
Sam Couter                                             sam@topic.com.au