Re: DLL export/import of defs for the Win32 platform

From: Raffaele Sena <raff@nuvomedia.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 10:35:15 -0700
To: <www-lib@w3.org>, "Steinar Bang" <sb@metis.no>
> What about DLL export and imports for the Win32 platform?
>
> How are these handled?
>
> I assume that the
>         libwww/Library/src/windows/*.def
> files are related to this?  But how do I create a *.def file for my
> DLL which contains everything?  And how are the
> "__declspec(dllexport)" directives inserted into the .h files?

    The .def files are created from the .files files.

    For every DLL, the corresponding .files contains the list of sources
    for that library. winConfigure parses the .files and for each source
    file extracts the "global" symbols (I think it extracts the PUBLIC
functions)
    and add them to the .def file.

    So, you should create something like wwwall.files and put in it all the
    source (.c) files you are using.

    I didn't find any use of __declspec in the sources, but it could be (I
think
    I remember something similar) that if you are using the .def files you
don't
    need to explicitally declare your exported functions in the source code.

-- Raffaele