From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen [mailto:frystyk@w3.org]
Sent: Friday, April 02, 1999 9:16 PM
To: Jim_Ravan@avid.com; www-lib@w3.org
Subject: Re: Building libwww under MSVC

At 11:14 4/2/99 -0500, Jim_Ravan@avid.com wrote:

>Did I do this correctly? In order to compile the latest CVS libwww
under
>Windows NT, I downloaded
>http://www.w3.org/Library/Distribution/libwww-win32.zip. Then I
unzipped it
>into the libwww directory. Then I used the world.dsw workspace to
compile
>everything. This seemed to be the correct thing to do and it seemed to
>mostly work. I was confused by the comment on
>http://www.w3.org/INSTALL.html#Windows that said:
>
>     "If using the CVS tree, then you can get a version which is in
sync
>with the latest CVS sourcetree."

I agree that it was confusing - I have tried to make it clearer - from:

	http://www.w3.org/INSTALL#Windows

it now says:

You can also get the latest MSVC makefiles (PGP signature) which are in
sync with the current CVS source tree (not the distribution package!).
The
makesfiles are not in CVS themselves as they constantly cause CVS
conflicts. Unzip them on top (directly in the libwww folder) of your
checked out CVS tree and repeat the bootstrap mechanism.

>Unfortunately, there is no further comment as to how to get the MSVC
>workspace and projects from CVS. They don't seem to come automatically
when
>doing a checkout of libwww. Is there a way to get them from CVS?

No, I had to remove them because they constantly cause conflicts because
of
the way they are generated.

>Also, the current dsw package seems to be MSVC Version 5. Is this
correct?
>If so, why does MSVC complain as follows?
>
>     Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '/ZI'

Yes it is MSVC 5.0 - I have no idea why it complains about this.

>Further, I tried to convert the world.dsw workspace to MSVC Version 6
>format, but was unable to do to so. After converting all the projects,
MSVC
>complained that the workspace could not be modified due to a "sharing
>violation". Can anyone explain this?

The workspace was created in MSVC 5.0 and I haven't messed with it at
all
so I don't know why it can't be converted. Does it mean that you can't
use
the workspace at all?

Has anyone else seen this?

Henrik