Re: Jigsaw confused by large numbers of files.

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Trey Cain wrote:

> Hello - I have been noticing a strange behavior of Jigsaw. I have a few
> thousand image files on my web server, and Jigsaw occasionally hangs when
> handling requests for some of the images. They are all relatively small
> (5k - 100k)  files. When only serving small numbers of files, the problem
> seems to go away. I have tried dividing the images up into multiple
> subdirectories, each containing around 200, but the problem still shows
> up.

Which version are you using? I suggest you upgrade to the latest devel
release and see if it is still happening (
http://jigsaw.w3.org/Devel/classes-2.0/ for Jigsaw 2.0.x,
http://jigsaw.w3.org/Devel/classes-2.1/ for Jigsaw 2.1.0.).
There is no particular reason for Jigsaw to hang when there are multiple
file in one directory, unless it is indexing this directory (ie, when some
modifications have been done in the files), also what is your OS/jdk ?

> > I see the problem when fetching multiple image files in parallel from
> Jigsaw, using an emulated browser program. It seems to occur most often
> when fetching more than one file from the same directory at the same time.

> Is there a solution to this problem? I don't think that I really
> understand Jigsaw's indexing scheme. Is there some way that I could use it
> to avoid this problem?
The indexers are in charge of creating the resources (objects) sent,
creating objects costs some time, but as the object are persistent, it
costs time only the first time (unless there are changes in the
configuration triggered by a modified last-modification date or such).
Hope this helps,