Re: Insider Informations needed

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Ingmar Krusch wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> Some time back I said that we are investigating the possibility to port the
> Jigsaw to our customers platform.
>
> Our Customer requires some information, so here's what I'd like to know:
>
> 1. Who is responsible for the release and maintenance of the Jigsaw?
>
>     => I assume it is the responsibility of the developers?!

Yes, we are responsible for that.

> 2. What are the future plans for Jigsaw?
>
>     => I assume "http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/Activity.html" lists all infos
> available to the public. Are there any plans not listed there or that are
> not for public eyes? If so, please contact me privately.

Currently, the main direction is in the Activity page. However things may
change and if the changes are minor they are not reflected in the activity
page (like the current rebuild of the proxy/cache part), but we have no
"hidden plans"

> 3. Are there any stability and performance analysis of the Jigsaw?
>
>     => We did some tests ourselves with Jigsaw and Apache but would prefer
> real world experiences.

We are doing real-life tests regarding stability, jigsaw.w3.org is
handling between 25k and 30khits/day and the longest run was 51 days
before patches were applied to the OS (solaris) and the machine was
rebooted! For performance, it is always hard to do tests, as you have to
get a good model of real life tests. According to some tests I saw, using
a web traffic modeling tool, Jigsaw was as fast as Apache for static
pages, which was the test setup.

> 4. How big is the Jigsaw team and  what kind of support does the team or the
> product have?
>
>     => I assume that the whole team consist of the two developers (Yves
> Lafon and Benoît Mahé) mentioned on the web page. Are there other people
> involved (marketing, Q&A etc.)?

Yes, we are only two, but external contributions are welcome :)

> 5. Is there a release or feature cycles?
>
> Any hints would be greatly appreciated. I also have another question. If
> (and this is an "if" in bold font) we actually port the software, we would
> be interested in introducing a uniform error handling and reporting strategy
> to the Jigsaw. We could do this for our port but would be interested in
> folding back theses changes into the W3 distribution. Who would be
> responsible for these negotiations?

We try to have a release cycle of about three monthes, but as more and
more people have access to our public cvs base, you may find the latst
version there even if it's not released yet (I talk about the rel-2-0 aka
Jigsaw 2.0.x, which is the stable line).
Some other things have delayed the 2.1.1 and 2.0.4 version (all the fixes
to 2.0.3 were proted to 2.1.0 and the opposite.)

Currently, people reported bugs and contributed bug fixes and code either
to the mailing list and/or to jigsaw@w3.org directly (Many thanks to
them!) then we are incorporating them in the cvs source tree.