Jigsaw confused by large numbers of files.

From: Trey Cain <cain@cs.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 03:59:09 -0500 (EST)
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Hello - I have been noticing a strange behavior of Jigsaw. I have a few
thousand image files on my web server, and Jigsaw occasionally hangs when
handling requests for some of the images. They are all relatively small
(5k - 100k)  files. When only serving small numbers of files, the problem
seems to go away. I have tried dividing the images up into multiple
subdirectories, each containing around 200, but the problem still shows
up.

I see the problem when fetching multiple image files in parallel from
Jigsaw, using an emulated browser program. It seems to occur most often
when fetching more than one file from the same directory at the same time.

Is there a solution to this problem? I don't think that I really
understand Jigsaw's indexing scheme. Is there some way that I could use it
to avoid this problem?

Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Trey