Re: Servlet Questions

"David P. White" wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am new to Jigsaw so forgive my ignorance. I am trying to set up Jigsaw
> to execute servlets.
>
> (1)  Is there any way to configure Jigsaw to "auto-start" a servlet when
> the server is brought up? Some other servers (JRun for one) will perform
> the init() phase of a servlet's life cycle when the server starts. This
> prevents the first requestor from having to wait.

No, it's not possible with te current version of Jigsaw, but may be in the
next...

> (2)  Must all servlets be referenced via a ServletWrapper (alias) or is
> it possible to somehow refer to a servlet via it's fully qualified
> classname? Again, some servers (JRun) support requests in the form
> http://hostname:port/servlet/fully.qualified.servlet.name instead of
> using a mapped name. This is useful in cases where a non-browser client
> wishes to request the services of a "known" servlet. Using an alias can
> be a problem as it can be easily changed.

The servletwrapper is not an alias, it's the way Jigsaw handle servlets.
So yes, all servlets must be referenced via a ServletWrapper. But,
you can call a servlet with is full classname.
For example, it the servlet com.foobar.servlets.TestServlet is in your CLASSPATH

or under a ServletDirectory, you reach it at

http://hostname:port/servlet/com.foobar.servlets.TestServlet

A ServletWrapper, ("com.foobar.servlets.TestServlet"), will be
created by the ServletIndexer.

Regards, Benoit.

                      World Wide Web Consortium   (W3C)
                    Architecture domain - Jigsaw Engineer