Servlet Questions

From: David P. White <dpwhite@halcyon.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 18:57:02 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-jigsaw@w3.org
Hello.

I am new to Jigsaw so forgive my ignorance. I am trying to set up Jigsaw
to execute servlets.

(1)  Is there any way to configure Jigsaw to "auto-start" a servlet when
the server is brought up? Some other servers (JRun for one) will perform
the init() phase of a servlet's life cycle when the server starts. This
prevents the first requestor from having to wait.

(2)  Must all servlets be referenced via a ServletWrapper (alias) or is
it possible to somehow refer to a servlet via it's fully qualified
classname? Again, some servers (JRun) support requests in the form
http://hostname:port/servlet/fully.qualified.servlet.name instead of
using a mapped name. This is useful in cases where a non-browser client
wishes to request the services of a "known" servlet. Using an alias can
be a problem as it can be easily changed.

Thanks,

David