Re: Servlet Questions

Benoit Mahe wrote:

> The servletwrapper is not an alias, it's the way Jigsaw handle servlets.
> So yes, all servlets must be referenced via a ServletWrapper. But,
> you can call a servlet with is full classname.
> For example, it the servlet com.foobar.servlets.TestServlet is in your CLASSPATH
>
> or under a ServletDirectory, you reach it at
>
> http://hostname:port/servlet/com.foobar.servlets.TestServlet
>
> A ServletWrapper, ("com.foobar.servlets.TestServlet"), will be
> created by the ServletIndexer.
>
> Regards, Benoit.

Benoit,

When I first tried this, I merely placed my servlet's class file in the
servlet subdir under www. When I tried to reference it via it's fully
qualified classname, it was not found.

I then thought to place a series of subdir under the servlet subdir
which map to the elements of the servlet's classname. Therefore, with a
servlet named "foobar.servlets.TestServlet" the directory tree would be
www/servlet/foobar/servlets and the file TestServlet.class would be
placed therein.

When I do this, I can indeed reference the servlet with my browser
pointed to http://localhost:8001/servlet/foorbar.servlets.TestServlet.
However, this only works the very first time I reference it. If I point
my browser to another location and then back to the afore-mentioned
servlet, I get a text page displayed in my browser which simply says
"Servlet not configured properly". This occurs every time except the
first.

I have no idea what's going on here. When I look (via jigadmin) at the
servlet directory frame, it now includes a ServletWrapper called
"foo\servlets\TestServlet" which references class
"foo\servlets\TestServlet.class". In addition, jigadmin shows directory
resources/http frames for the directories placed under the servlet
directory (foo and servlets). For the file TestServlet.class, there is
also a file resource/http frame combination. Finally, in the jigsaw
console, I see, "Create Servlet : foo\servlets\TestServlet.class". There
are no other messages.

This all seems ok to me. Is it what you'd expect? Any idea why I cannot
access the servlet more than one time?

Finally, should I be able to place a .jar or .zip file containing
servlet code in the servlet directory under www? Or can these be only
.class files?

Thanks for your help.

David