Re: [www-jigsaw] <none>

bhagya@isac.ernet.in wrote:

> >From bhagya@isac.ernet.in Wed Dec  2 17:34:55 1998
> Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 17:34:53 +0000 (GMT)
> From:  <bhagya@isac.ernet.in>
> To: gajit@xetex.com
> hi,
>
>         I'm using
>
>         Netscape Communicator 4.06
>         Servlet JSDK2.0 jsdk.jar
>         JDK1.1.2
>
>         I need to load an applet from HTML page (in the browser), which in
> turn need to invoke a servlet and pass data between applet and servlet.
> can u please help me with this.
>
> -bhagya
>
> p.s : i could do this outside the browser. meaning, i could call the
> applet from main and do the rest without any problem. but when i load the
> applet from HTML page in a browser, it doesn't work.

1. Applet invoking servlet with url supplied
     ---------------------------------------

void putObject(Serializable obj, URL url)
        { try
                {
                        URLConnection uc = url.openConnection();
                        uc.setDoOutput(true);
                        uc.setUseCaches(false);
                        uc.setDefaultUseCaches(false);

uc.setRequestProperty("Content-type","application/octet-stream");
                        ObjectOutputStream objOut =  new
ObjectOutputStream(newGZIPOutputStream(uc.getOutputStream()));
                        objOut.writeObject(obj);
                        objOut.flush();
                        objOut.close();
                        InputStream is = uc.getInputStream();
                }
                catch (IOException e)
                {
                        System.out.println("Exception putting object " +
e.toString());
                }
        }

2. Servlet processing the response
    --------------------------------

 public void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response)
         throws ServletException, IOException {
     response.setContentType("application/octet-stream");
    ObjectOutputStream objOut = new
    ObjectOutputStream(response.getOutputStream());
    objOut.writeObject(someVectorObject);
    objOut.flush();
    objOut.close();
}

3. Applet receiving from servlet
    -----------------------------

        private Object getObject(URL url)
        {
                ObjectInputStream objIn = null;
                Object obj = null;

                try
                {
                        objIn = new ObjectInputStream(new
GZIPInputStream(url.openStream()));
                        obj = objIn.readObject();
                }
                catch (ClassNotFoundException e)
                {
                        System.out.println("Exception creating URL " +
e.toString());
                }
                catch (IOException e)
                {
                        System.out.println("Exception getting object " +
e.toString());
                }
                finally
                {
                        try
                        {
                                objIn.close();
                        }
                        catch (IOException e)
                        {
                                System.out.println("Unable to close stream " +
e.toString());
                        }
                }

                return obj;
        }

S.Ramaswamy
Matrix Infotech Syndicate
D-7, Poorti, Vikaspuri, New Delhi, 110018, India
PHONE: +91-11-5610050,   FAX: +91-11-5535103
WEB  :   http://MatrixInfotech.HyperMart.Net