Re: cached resources

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:48:15 +0100 (MET)
To: Gil Hansen <gil@objs.com>
cc: www-jigsaw@w3.org
On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Gil Hansen wrote:

> How can one tell if a resource being downloaded is obtained from the cache
> or from the remote host?

If Jigsaw give the resource from the cache, the ingoingFilter of
CacheFilter will return a Reply, you can use that.
Another thing is to detect the Age: 0, but clearly, it is a hack :)

> Given Jigsaw and Navigator both have caches, which takes precidence? For
> example, suppose one flushed the Navigator cache, but not the Jigsaw cache
> and then reloaded a webpage.

As the browser decide if it will ask the network or not, the browser will
inspect its own cache before asking the proxy. As I prefer asking the
proxy, I disabled the browser cache.

  /\ /  \                Architecture Domain - Jigsaw