W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > July to September 2012

[minutes] i18n telecon 2012-06-27

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 11:24:05 +0100
Message-ID: <4FF56B45.1030209@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2012/06/27-i18n-minutes.html




Text version follows:


Internationalization Core Working Group Teleconference

27 Jun 2012

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012Jun/0009.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2012/06/27-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Richard, aphillip, dclarke, andrewc, Norbert, koji

    Regrets
           Felix, Mati

    Chair
           any opposed to sending to WG

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda and Minutes
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Web Notifications
          5. [9]Ruby Document
          6. [10]TPAC 2012
          7. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items

    close ACTION-126

    <trackbot> ACTION-126 Contact Ian H. about feasibility of
    adding attributes for bidi isolation closed

    (AND ALL GROUP MEMBERS) study additional bidi controls proposal
    and express support or lack of support for it at Unicode

Info Share

    koji: UTR#50 and writing mode
    ... preparing data files which is a snapshot of utr50

    <koji>
    [13]http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#vertical-orient
    ations

      [13] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#vertical-orientations

    koji: now in ed
    ... will have 1 or 2 more WD before last call
    ... please provide feedback
    ... attended subgroup of UTC
    ... two telecons
    ... told them about things we expected
    ... which should go in next draft
    ... but publishers need something now that is stable
    ... very helpful if someone can check out the datafiles in
    draft, especially for CJK important code points

    <r12a>
    [14]https://www.w3.org/2012/06/mlw/public/mlw-project-final-rep
    ort.pdf

      [14] 
https://www.w3.org/2012/06/mlw/public/mlw-project-final-report.pdf

    richard: link to final report on MLWeb project

    ... finished at end of March

    richard: but final review was last friday
    ... reached "exceeded expectatoins" score
    ... which is highest
    ... will continue workshops in ML Web LT project
    ... which ends in 2014
    ... need to look at funding models

Web Notifications

    [15]http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/notifications/raw-file/tip/Overview.h
    tml

      [15] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/notifications/raw-file/tip/Overview.html

    Norbert: raised issue 161
    ... no way to specify the language
    ... safe to say what the language is?
    ... does the User Agent know?
    ... possibility of multiple items, each tagged with a language
    ... so the user agent can select
    ... which one to display

    1. The presence of 'direction' each attribute (title, body) is
    nice to see, but it would be good if there were also a "lang"
    attribute for each. Content language is used to influence the
    display of Notifications (line wrapping, font selection, etc.).
    The language attribute should be a String containing a BCP 47
    language tag.

    2. (Section 5). It's a little odd that title is converted to
    Unicode before setting the direction, while body has its
    direction set first. Can those be made consistent?

    3. (Section 6). The Unicode Bidrectional Algorithm should be
    referenced directly here. As written, it's hard to understand
    unless one is already familiar with the concepts. Rules from
    UAX#9 are referenced by name here, so there should be an
    explicit reference to it. Note that such a reference is
    included in the references section already.

    appears to be there now

    <r12a> [16]http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-notifications-20110301/

      [16] http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-notifications-20110301/

    [17]http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/notifications/shortlog

      [17] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/notifications/shortlog

    4. (Section 7.2). Should normalization play a role in comparing
    'tag' values?

    think we are coming to conclusion that answer is 'no'

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: send Web Notifications comments
    [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/27-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-134 - Send Web Notifications comments
    [on Addison Phillips - due 2012-07-04].

Ruby Document

    <r12a>
    [19]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/ruby/editme.html

      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/docs/ruby/editme.html

    [20]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/ruby/editme.html

      [20] http://www.w3.org/International/docs/ruby/editme.html

    richard: not a finished item, but question is: "can I publish a
    new public WD"

    koji: think it's good to go public

    richard: add something about double-<rt>?

    koji: not sure if current spec can read this way

    Norbert: when reading...
    ... elements not defined, e.g. <rp> I *think* means parens,
    etc.

    richard: don't hvae a link to HTML5 sections that describe
    ruby, etc.
    ... document assumes some familiarity with Ruby and HTML5 ruby
    ... and add links/refs

    Norbert: not aware that CSS and HTML can generate DOM elements
    when parsing
    ... anonymous boxes

    richard: starting to develop an opinion... maybe not change
    HTML5
    ... but might change how markup behaves
    ... might not need <rb> as long as can get anonymous box

    norbert: multiple <rb> followed by multiple <rt>?

    richard: requires singificant reengineering?
    ... can do nested ruby now
    ... and almost sort of works

    Norbert: no model where can get a "yes" everywhere in table in
    doc

    koji: fantasai and I think jukugo is a style rather than markup
    issue
    ... haven't got time right now to work on ruby styling just now
    ... but document describes issues and shows possible approaches

    norbert: might be good to have preferred direction mentioned
    somewhere, if there is one?

    richard: want to be neutral now?

    <scribe> chair: who supports publishing as a FPWD?

    <DClarke> +1

    koji: yes

    andrew: yes

    <r12a> yes

    addison: yes

    norbert: yes

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: publish ruby approaches document as
    First Public Working Draft and announce [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/27-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-135 - Publish ruby approaches
    document as First Public Working Draft and announce [on Richard
    Ishida - due 2012-07-04].

    richard: will change target of comments from public-i18n-core
    to www-international

TPAC 2012

    [22]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012J
    un/0008.html

      [22] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012Jun/0008.html

    koji: will be there, try not to conflict with CSS

    > Lyon, France > [23]http://www.w3.org/2012/10/TPAC/

      [23] http://www.w3.org/2012/10/TPAC/

    norbert: currently we are scheduled Th/Fr and CSS is Mo/Tu
    ... maybe

    addison: maybe

    <DClarke> I may be able to, but I'll have to decide closer to
    the time

    <r12a> i'll be there

AOB?

    next week: CSS3 Writing Mode

    also Flex Box

    richard: charter went to W3M review today
    ... should hear in about 2 weeks

    <r12a> [24]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_history

      [24] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_history

    richard: look at discussion items list
    ... review items

    norbert: 49 open items in the HTML-prep

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: send Web Notifications comments
    [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/27-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: publish ruby approaches document as
    First Public Working Draft and announce [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/27-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    [End of minutes]





-- 
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/
Received on Thursday, 5 July 2012 10:24:29 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 5 July 2012 10:24:29 GMT