W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > July to September 2012

[minutes] i18n telecon 2012-06-20

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 11:22:57 +0100
Message-ID: <4FF56B01.5020301@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2012/06/20-i18n-minutes.html




Text version follows:

Internationalization Core Working Group Teleconference

20 Jun 2012

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012Jun/0004.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2012/06/20-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Richard, Norbert, Gwyneth, Mati,
           Felix_(via_IRC)

    Regrets
           David

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda and Minutes
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Charter review
          5. [9]Web Notifications
          6. [10]IRI and IRI bidi documents
          7. [11]AOB?
          8. [12]XLIFF v2
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items

    (AND ALL GROUP MEMBERS) study additional bidi controls proposal
    and express support or lack of support for it at Unicode

    <r12a> [14]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    close ACTION-128

    <trackbot> ACTION-128 Add member@ and bidi/cjk lists to tracker
    tracked lists closed

    close ACTION-131

    <trackbot> ACTION-131 Update the Activity about page etc to
    describe the adjusted use of the mailing lists and add
    information about tracker closed

Info Share

    richard: has some info
    ... was at ML-Web LT workshop
    ... talked about linked ml data
    ... talked about additions to ITS v2

    <r12a> Labra Gayo, José Emilio - Best Practices for
    Multilingual Linked Open Data - PDF

    richard: and those will be pursued by that wg
    ... the above talk

    <r12a> temporary link:
    [15]http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/wiki/Fil
    e:LABRA-JOSE-2012-06-11.pdf

      [15] 
http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/wiki/File:LABRA-JOSE-2012-06-11.pdf

    richard: (temporary link to follow)
    ... basically an attempt to describe best practices for working
    with multilingual open data
    ... proposed to make into best practices document on our site
    ... some unanswered questions
    ... to publish as WG Note techniques document

    matial: draw attention to PRI issue 231
    ... matching parentheses addendum to UBA
    ... seeking advice
    ... I have some comments

    <Norbert> [16]http://www.unicode.org/review/pri231/

      [16] http://www.unicode.org/review/pri231/

    <r12a>
    [17]http://www.multilingualweb.eu/documents/luxembourg-workshop
    /luxembourg-workshop-report

      [17] 
http://www.multilingualweb.eu/documents/luxembourg-workshop/luxembourg-workshop-report

    richard: ... report on luxembourg workshop above
    ... good to watch the videos, since you get more info from them
    ... only 15 min. each.... working on links... avail soon

Charter review

    [18]https://www.w3.org/2012/05/i18n-recharter/core-charter.html

      [18] https://www.w3.org/2012/05/i18n-recharter/core-charter.html

    richard: PLH wants to take to W3M next wednesday
    ... so last chance to comment
    ... main difference is that we'll be supporting REC-track (with
    encoding document as our only such deliverable)

    Norbert: list Webapps

    addison: charmod on rec track or no?

    gwyeth: when would it go into effect?

    richard: (reviews process---W3M, AC reps, etc.)
    ... about two months??

Web Notifications

    [19]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2012Ap
    rJun/0116.html

      [19] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2012AprJun/0116.html

    The Web Notifications WG is planning to move Web Notifications
    to W3C Last Call meaning we don't intend to change it. But we
    might have missed something and would therefore appreciate your
    review of
    [20]http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/notifications/raw-file/tip/Overview.h
    tml and any comments you might have at
    public-web-notification@w3.org.

      [20] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/notifications/raw-file/tip/Overview.html

    last call published end of next week

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: (AND ALL GROUP MEMBERS) review Web
    Notifications for revew at 27 June WG teleconference [recorded
    in [21]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/20-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-132 - (AND ALL GROUP MEMBERS) review
    Web Notifications for revew at 27 June WG teleconference [on
    Addison Phillips - due 2012-06-27].

    ACTION-132:
    [22]http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/notifications/raw-file/tip/Overview.h
    tml

      [22] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/notifications/raw-file/tip/Overview.html

    <trackbot> ACTION-132 (AND ALL GROUP MEMBERS) review Web
    Notifications for revew at 27 June WG teleconference notes
    added

IRI and IRI bidi documents

    [23]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/13-i18n-minutes.html

      [23] http://www.w3.org/2012/06/13-i18n-minutes.html

    Norbert: discussed more in general layout of IRIs with bidi
    ... it says "embed any IRIs in a LTR context"

    addison: doesn't solve problems with dot and slash, though...
    only provides a directional base

    gwyneth: hasn't had a chance to follow up with shawn steele
    until just now
    ... wants a different presentation that UBA

    addison: problem is need for bidi controls to do that under
    UBA, so have leakage problem

    norbert: to make progress, need some "interesting IRIs"
    ... and list of algorithms for rendering

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: ping Adil about status of bidi IRI
    examples/tests and any documentation or efforts in that
    direction [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/20-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-133 - Ping Adil about status of bidi
    IRI examples/tests and any documentation or efforts in that
    direction [on Addison Phillips - due 2012-06-27].

AOB?

    addison: for next week

    richard: review Ruby document
    ... move to FPWD next week

    Norbert: moving CSS Box Layout to last call... add to review
    radar

XLIFF v2

    richard: XLIFF allowed namespaces
    ... and folks implemented core features of XLIFF using their
    own namespaces
    ... which is ugly/painful
    ... two proposals
    ... 1. drop namespaces
    ... 2. special elements like <meta> to express extensibility
    ... another proposal was keep both
    ... but tighten wording around namespaces to prevent recreating
    core features
    ... having a second vote on this
    ... think ITS and XLIFF should work closely together
    ... so get ITS concepts into XLIFF
    ... they hadn't thought about it
    ... proposed using namespaces to do this
    ... felix would be the best reporter

    <fsasaki> for the record: I'm lurking on IRC, happy to take an
    action item to follow up on this - e.g. 1st a mail draft to our
    member list, then sending that mail etc. to XLIFF folks

    <fsasaki> so feel free to give me AIs :)

    not ready for that, felix... waiting outcome of vote

    scribe: but I can make up AIs if you need me to

    <fsasaki> OK

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: (AND ALL GROUP MEMBERS) review Web
    Notifications for revew at 27 June WG teleconference [recorded
    in [25]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/20-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: ping Adil about status of bidi IRI
    examples/tests and any documentation or efforts in that
    direction [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/20-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    [End of minutes]



-- 
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/
Received on Thursday, 5 July 2012 10:23:21 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 5 July 2012 10:23:21 GMT