Re: hyphenation character data

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 22:51:42 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: www-international@w3.org
On 10/6/2011 3:46 PM, fantasai wrote:
> On 10/05/2011 08:32 PM, Asmus Freytag wrote:
>> On 10/4/2011 5:46 PM, fantasai wrote:
>>> Are there any resources that CSS can point to for indicating the
>>> appropriate hyphenation character for a particular language?
>>
>> Do you mean the appropriate diwsplay when hyphenation is applied?
>>
>> Because it's not always the addition of a character.
>
> Right. But we presume the hyphenation engine takes care of any
> spelling changes.

Separating the specification of hyphenation this way between engine and
rendering seems a bit strange. The "hyphenation character" is just as
much part of the orthography as any spelling changes around the break.
It would seem then, that a natural design would place the
responsibiility for language appropriate character selection on the same
module that is implementing language appropriate word-division in the
first place.

A./