Re: Ideographic Space, word-spacing, and justification

Hi, Erica,

In Japanese Layout, "spacing issue" is one of the most difficult issues to
treat.
We intended to carefully eliminate concrete character name like IDEOGRAPHIC
SPACE(U+3000) and SPACE(U+0002) from our requirement. Rather introduced
three different types of abstract space concepts as follows:

inter character space: usulal 1/2 em fixed space.
conditional space: 1/2 em fixed space to be inserted or pulled off between
characters and punctuation marks.
adjustable space: variable width space, behaves like usual western variable
space.

Note that, usual Japanese punctuation marks have 1/2 em width in our
requirement, even if the character name might include "FULLWIDTH ~~~"

Anyway, the disition how to deal with these spaces in CSS recommendation and
in actual implementation is up to your side:-)

regards,
Tatsuo

--
KOBAYASHI Tatsuo