RE: XML Core -> I18n Core: IRIs as namespace names?

Hi, Frank, all: I'm sure it is I who have missed something, because some of this is new to me.

Would requiring normalization of the strings as Addison suggested be o.k.?  That prevents having a new string substitute for the original (as far I can makes sense of it).  I think I support Addison's reccomendation.  (Some of this is really new to me though.)

My only point in my previous post was that we need a standard that organizations that register international domain names can adhere to (maybe there is a standard already?)--because it's obvious that this domain spoofing problem can be put to an abrupt hault by the persons registering domain names.

I'd read the various w3 articles on this, and I'd come to agree that a 'standard' way of dealing with domain names, where 'look-alikes' or something are reserved, should accompany all use of internationalized domain names--in general, not just for the backporting to an earlier version of XML, but since the question was asked for this instance . . .

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com

> From: nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de
> Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:32:51 +0200
>
> CE Whitehead wrote:
>
>> It would be for if I saw that registering authorities had a
>> security standard.
>
> Hi, likely I miss one or more clues here. But I think users,
> user agents, tools, etc., have typically no business to look
> "behind" namespace names. They know and support it, or they
> don't know it, game over. For that job IRIs are no obstacle.
>
> It's not the same situation as with system identifiers, where
> tools are seriously in trouble when they'd get the style of
> non-IRIs in XML 1 (3rd + 4th ed.) with U-labels in the host.

non-IRI characters?  ??? This is what is new to me.  Sorry to be so dumb.

> AFAIK nobody needs to look up a namespace (unless they are
> curious, of course, but then they might have a choice to use
> an UA supporting IRIs, or might find a Web form translating
> the raw IRI into an equivalent URI.)

??