RE: meta content-language

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:48:57 +0100
To: "'Leif Halvard Silli'" <lhs@malform.no>
Cc: "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>, "'HTMLWG'" <public-html@w3.org>, <www-international@w3.org>, <hsivonen@iki.fi>

Leif, I'm not sure that makes sense... The prompt for the content
negotiation should come from the user agent, since it reflects the
preferences of the user, not the language of a given page.  The user agent
sends the user's preferences (or its defaults) via the Accept-Language HTTP
field, and the server uses that information to do content negotiation (if
enabled on the server). If the server finds a match, it returns meta
information about the document it is serving in the Content-Language field
of the HTTP header.

In this respect, the Content-Language header is saying: "Here is a document
that is appropriate for someone who states a preference for language X".
Note that it is not a foregone conclusion that the default language of the
content is language X, especially in the sense where default means the
language of the head and initial text in the body - for example, some poorly
localized pages may have navigation content in one language while the main
content is in another; other pages may be bilingual (eg. I've seen
discussion fora with comments in English, Punjabi and Hindi, mixed
together); other bilingual documents for French-speaking Canada may be
served with a Content-Language value of 'en,fr', but may start with either
language in the content.

All this contributes to my feeling that the Content-Language information is
a different kind of beast to the language attribute.  I haven't objected to
the default language being set to the value of the Content-Language in the
absence of a language attribute, but in some of the above cases to do so may
actually introduce errors.

RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead