RE: New Working Group Note: Best Practices for XML Internationalization

Hi Tex,

I have reflected on a number of occasions whether it would make sense to use
control codes rather than markup, and I'm not convinced that it would.

There are, of course, places where you have no choice (ie. attribute values
and elements that support only plain text - though the best practices
document also tries to convince schema authors to avoid defining those). But
have you ever tried creating a page based solely on control codes for an RTL
language? You can't rely on putting dir="rtl" in the <html> tag and then
just tweaking where needed - you need to put (invisible) control codes in
every block element.  Managing the scope across the document becomes very
difficult. You also have problems getting table columns and numbered lists
to switch around based on the directional context.  You also have to set
right alignment for the blocks with a default context of right-to-left -
which is actually likely to involve you having to mark them up much as you
would with bidi markup anyway.  Basically, I don't think you are any better
off.

The problem you seem to have encountered relates, it seems to me, to the
editor support for bidi text, rather than the browser support.

I think it would be better to complain to the editor implementers that they
should start to recognize bidi tags and control code escapes and be more
intelligent about interpreting them in order to solve that problem, rather
than make people use control codes.  (Note btw that if you try to make the
control codes visible using NCRs or entities you run into the same issues
with editors.)  I think markup is still problematic because the technology
has *not* caught up with user's needs - not the browser technology, but the
editing technology.

RI

[1] http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-bidi-controls

Richard Ishida