Re: New Working Group Note: Best Practices for XML Internationalization

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 21:37:40 +0900
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
CC: Tex Texin <tex@yahoo-inc.com>, WWW International <www-international@w3.org>

Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> Tex Texin wrote:
>
>> At the same time, I am skeptical about the term "best practices".
>>

> This term is used in quite a few W3C activities.
>
> I've seen it mean a practice that falls short of a 'recommendation'
> and has a lower level of consensus and review, but is nevertheless a
> thought out position that has sufficient consensus to be published.
>
> One advantage of using a WG Note rather than a recommendation is that
> the cost of change is fairly low. In terms of the Unicode vs markup
> issue you seem to be suggesting that the best practice (of using
> markup) will soon be superceded by the opposite of using best practice
> of using unicode bidi chars ....

I'm not sure if this will be the case. Note that
http://www.w3.org/TR/unicode-xml/#Bidi which Yves mentioned in this
thread, is part of a document that was rather recently published, with a
certain degree of endorsement from the Unicode consortium and the W3C
(i18n core WG).

> personally I would hope that when and if the consensus here comes
> round to that point of view, then this document could be updated
> relatively easily.

yes, much easier than a W3C Recommendation.

Felix