RE: New Working Group Note: Best Practices for XML Internationalization

Thanks Felix.

I appreciate the hard work that goes into a document like this and the difficulty of the task.

At the same time, I am skeptical about the term "best practices".

For starters, we are long overdue to get rid of the idea we need markup for bidi control when unicode controls can do the same thing, and work in contexts where bidi markup cannot go.

When editors did not support bidi, it made sense to make it visible and the results would be seen in a browser.
As editors today support bidi, it makes little sense to not be WYSIWYG, and see the results as you edit, as opposed to inserting bidi markup and having to switch feom edit to browser and back to understand how the text is impacted.

The joint Unicode-W3C standard should be revised to reflect a more sensible practice.

We should make sure best practices documents are updated to reflect modern tools and capabilities and not just repeating folklore.

How do we achieve giving these recommendations greater scrutiny and considering alternatives and validating the practices?

I know the team is not staffed sufficiently to do this alone. We need to find a way to address this though.

tex