Re: New Working Group Note: Best Practices for XML Internationalization

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:22:08 +0000
To: Tex Texin <tex@yahoo-inc.com>
CC: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>, WWW International <www-international@w3.org>

Tex Texin wrote:

> At the same time, I am skeptical about the term "best practices".

This term is used in quite a few W3C activities.

I've seen it mean a practice that falls short of a 'recommendation' and
has a lower level of consensus and review, but is nevertheless a thought
out position that has sufficient consensus to be published.

One advantage of using a WG Note rather than a recommendation is that
the cost of change is fairly low. In terms of the Unicode vs markup
issue you seem to be suggesting that the best practice (of using markup)
will soon be superceded by the opposite of using best practice of using
unicode bidi chars .... personally I would hope that when and if the
consensus here comes round to that point of view, then this document
could be updated relatively easily.

Jeremy