Re: Language tag education and negotiation

At 17:16 28/04/2008, John Cowan wrote:

>Asmus Freytag scripsit:
>
> > There are parts of the planets where it is common for people to command
> > more than one language.
>
>Most of it, indeed.
>
> > Of course, a meta tag that (reliably :-) ) described something as
> > 'translation', or conversely as 'official language version' would be
> > useful, too.
>
>This would be a good use case for a BCP 47 registered extension,
>something like 't-*' to report the translation status of a document.
>Off the top of my head, the obvious candidates would be t-original,
>t-authentic (for documents which are "equally authentic" in all language
>versions), t-polished, t-rough, and t-machine.

Maybe this should be covered by Dublin Core metadata elements instead
of just "language tags".
"Using Dublin Core - The Elements"
<http://dublincore.org/documents/usageguide/elements.shtml> has
element refinements (for the Relation element) such as "IsBasisFor"
and "IsBasedOn", which could be used for this.

The "DCMI Government-Application Profile"
<http://dublincore.org/groups/government/profile-200111.shtml> also
lists the following element refinements:
- isBasedOn: The resource is a performance, production, derivation,
translation, adaptation or interpretation of another resource.
- isBasisOf: The resource has a performance, production, derivation,
translation, adaptation or interpretation, namely, the referenced resource.
(Note that this document says "isBasisOf" instead of "isBasisFor"; I
haven't found more "authoritative"/up-to-date versions of these documents.)

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe

---
I haven't.