Re: 2 many language tags for Norwegian

At 09:57 08/05/05, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

>John Cowan 2008-05-05 02.16:
>> Leif Halvard Silli scripsit:
>>
>> > Let's say I was a Swiss German Language enthusiast, using Apache, with a > site in Swiss German and English.  Main target audience: German > speakers, 99,99% of them without 'gsw' enabled.
>> If you want to target German-speakers, write in Standard German.
>> Otherwise you are in the position of someone writing in Icelandic and
>> targeting Nynorsk users.  They won't have a clue.
>>

>That comparsion does't hold water for a second.

How so?

>> > You may say I should not tag it as 'de', but can you say positively what > I should I do then, to reach my audience? Teach the hundred millions of > Germans how to insert 'gsw' into their browser?
>>
>> Don't use language negotiation, but explicit links instead.
>>

>All language negotation seems to require a direct link fallback.

>> He really really doesn't want to see gsw even if it's available,
>> *even though* he speaks gsw natively.  The fallback is worse than useless.
>>

>I assume that he is interested if he visits my web site.

I might be interested in a site about Swiss German containing
some comparisons between dialects or temporal comparisons, some
literary work in Swiss German, or some audio content. But as
for myself, I'd want the descriptive text on this Web site to
be written in standard German, so that I can actually read
it without guessing and spending lots more time than necessary.
I'd assume that at least 99% of the Swiss German speaking
population, even real hard-core Swiss German enthusiasts,
would prefer that.

The argument that I would want to read everything in Swiss
German if I visit a Web site that is completely in Swiss
German doesn't really work, because it's circular.

Regards,    Martin.