RE: Alternatives for the term 'primary language'

From: Tex Texin <tex@yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 02:58:27 -0700
To: "'Richard Ishida'" <ishida@w3.org>, <www-international@w3.org>

I think "language" should be languages, if we are discussing the intended audience.

I would not use primary at all as it is ambiguous.

Also, I wonder if the name should reflect the media somewhat.

If I write a book for an American US audience, and then an audio tape version is made, and the speaker and pronunciations are Indian English, for an Indian market, what is the language of the intended audience?

I could continue to make the example more complex but you get the idea.
tex