Alternatives for the term 'primary language'

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:00:42 +0100
To: <www-international@w3.org>

The new WCAG draft is using the term 'primary language' in a different way than we have defined it in  "Authoring Techniques for XHTML & HTML Internationalization: Specifying the language of content 1.0" [1].  There are other, older, uses of the term 'primary language' that also do not conform to our usage in this document.

In addition, 'primary language' doesn't really convey the meaning of the idea expressed at [1].  The meaning is intended to convey the language of the intended audience of the document, referring to the document as a whole, and contrasted with 'text-processing language' in that more than one language value makes sense in some circumstances.

Perhaps the time has come to think of an alternative term.

We would like your suggestions.

Brainstormed suggestions so far include:
	document language
	audience language
	web unit language
	language metadata
	language metadata declaration
	document language metadata
	readership language
	default langauge
	base language
	main language

'Document language' seemed interesting at one point, but is probably not specific enough - particularly when the term is translated into other languages.

Current favourites are
	readership language (sounds a bit clunky)
	audience language

Please read [1] and [2] and tell us if you have any better suggestions.

Thanks,
RI

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/i18n-html-tech-lang/#ri20040808.101452727
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/i18n-html-tech-lang/#ri20040808.102523274